Wednesday, January 27, 2010

12 yrs in 1 blog

12 years ago-

Having just turned 13, I knew I was already one of the youngest people at my high school. When I went to go pick up my new schedule for the next 4 months, I saw that they had put me in French instead of Spanish; but a few weeks into it I realized I liked this language. All the fete du fromages and celebrating l'epiphanie were a few of the advantages of being in this class. That year I went to my first high school dance, got my first high school crush, got my first high school yearbook, and made my first lifelong friends.


10 years ago-

Being an upperclassman didn't really mean much to me. We were still waiting for the top most rank. Classes got harder, PSAT's were a thing of the past for the dreadful SAT's were lurking near. Not only did I have a max schedule during the day, I took classes at Mt. Sac at night. Looking back, I really dont know where all the energy to do what I did came from. I cut up my first cadaver, although it was feline rather than human, but nonetheless it was equally cool. Went to my first winter formal, got my permit to drive, was part of the drama club as well as choir and loved every second of it. Life was hectic, but great.

9 years ago-

Senior year was finally here! I think I got senioritis before fall semester even started! Coming in late, leaving early, this was the life to live. This year was full of our last times. Last time we go to homecoming, the last time we go to winter formal, our last final, and for some, the last time we see each other. As excited as I was on growing up, I wanted to take a step back and wish it went a bit slower.

8 years ago-

Having just turned 17, I knew once again I was probably one of the younger freshmans at UCR. But that didnt stop me from enjoying every possible minute of my college life. Parties, classes, midterms and finals. I took it as it came. First broken heart, first frat party, first alcoholic drink. Did I know that my roommate who shared the same middle name as me was going to be the sister I never had? yup. Knew it from the moment I met her (the summer before college started). A few words to describe that summer, where for the first time I didn't have to worry about GPA's or SAT's or any other 3 letter acronym: foam party and starbucks.


6 years ago-

Entering medical school. That thought by itself is scary enough to send you crawling back into your mommas womb. Now add the fact that its in India, with cows and stray dogs, into the equation. Thats a whole different story. The years spent here are what changed me from the adolescent that I was, into the adult I am. I molded to situations and even grew despite being in an environment where people regress. I met people, lost people, met love, and an entourage full of friends who if don't show up at my wedding, I'm postponing it.







Now-

With everyone spread apart all over the world, and all of us studying for either the US medical boards, UK, Canadian, or Australian, its kinda hard to keep in touch and easy to glorify the past. Planned Vegas trips, and promises to visit each other in our home cities are currently filling our emails up. And declarations of how much we miss each other are in every conversation. I find people, with the help of technology and social networking, from shelyn, alvarado, and rowland high and see how much we've changed. Some are married, some have kids, some are divorced, some are in the army, and I was quite happy to know that 2 are wonderful teachers at our very own high school! I don't even know if our high school does reunions? Do they? Well if they do, I'll be looking forward to seeing all of us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment